It takes vision to create a community. Early in the planning for Koa Ridge, we engaged a community visioning group to formulate the guiding principles for this new community. Together, we crafted the following vision statement to articulate our hopes, dreams, and desires for Koa Ridge:
Koa Ridge will be a multi-generational, multi-cultural, multi-economic community that honors the past while embracing the future. It will be a ‘first-name community’ where neighbors share their love for natural beauty, commitment to life-long education, a healthy lifestyle, and shared traditions and values while pursuing their individual dreams.
This vision statement is embodied in the Guiding Principles for Koa Ridge, which have guided the planning and design of the Koa Ridge community.
Create a Complete Community that is Unique to Hawai‘i
- Where people can Live, Work, Play, Shop and Learn
- Where residents are close to shopping, dining and entertainment, health services, community services, schools, active and passive parks, recreation centers, social and civic facilities and employment.
- Where a wide range of quality employment opportunities are available right in the community.
- Where daily needs and services for residents and workers are available within the community.
Create a Community to Serve a Full Spectrum of Residents
- Where diverse housing types appeal to a wide variety of ages, cultures, lifestyles, and incomes.
- Where a spectrum of amenities accommodate the needs of all, from young children to senior citizens.
- Where seniors have the opportunity to age in place while being near to their families thanks to a continuum of housing options.
Create a Village Center as the Heart of the Community
- Where the community comes together to socialize, shop, dine, recreate, learn and work in a vibrant, easily walkable, small town environment.
Provide Alternatives to the Private Automobile
- Where community amenities are thoughtfully placed within walking distance of homes.
- Where biking and walking can be enjoyed safely through a network of paths that lead you to a destination in the community, or simply offers exercise or recreation.
- Where residents can conveniently access bus transit for travel beyond the community.
Create a Healthy and Environmentally Sound Community
- Where medical services are integrated into the community.
- Where parks, walking and biking paths, and recreation facilities abound.
- Where environmental resources are respected.
Create a Sustainable Community
- Where quality, environment, safety, and unique lifestyle are sustainable over the foreseeable future.
- Where natural resources are respected and conserved through thoughtful design.